SHORT TERM RENTAL AGREEMENT
This Short Term Rental Agreement (the “Agreement”) is made by and between Better Together Rentals, Inc., a Michigan corporation (“Owner”), doing business as U.P. Sunrise Cottages, and Guest as of the date of booking. For good and valuable consideration, the sufficiency of which is acknowledged, the parties hereby agree as follows:
1. Property. The U.P. Sunrise Cottages property is located in Forsyth Township, Michigan, at 1941 E Co Road 456, Little Lake, Michigan 49833.
Check-in time is AFTER 4:00pm and Check-out time is NO LATER THAN 11:00am. (Please call the Owner to see if early check-in or late check-out is available).
The property is furnished and includes certain items of personal property.
2. Rental Party: The rental party shall consist of Guest (who is at least 18 years old) and only persons listed on the Pre-Arrival form.
3. Maximum Occupancy: The maximum number of guests is limited to the maximum occupancy listed for the cottage at bettertogetherrentals.com.
4. Term of the Lease. The lease begins at 4 p.m. on the Check-in Date and ends at 11 a.m. on the Checkout Date.
5. Minimum Stay: The minimum night stay varies depending on the season and will be displayed at the time of booking. There will be no refunds for changes that result in a shortened stay. Early departure or late arrival does not warrant any refund. You may check in late and/or leave early but no discount will be applied. No refunds will be given for storms or electricity outages.
6. Rental Rules: Guest agrees to abide by the Rental Rules attached as Exhibit A at all times while at the property and shall cause all members of the rental party and anyone else Guest permits on the property to abide by all rules at all times while at the property.
7. Access: Guest shall allow Owner access to the property for purposes of repair and inspection. Owner shall exercise this right of access in a reasonable manner.
8. No Daily Housekeeping Service: Daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. We suggest you bring beach towels if you plan to use the waterfront. We do not permit towels or linens to be removed from the cottage(s). If you need replacement towels or another need arises, please contact the Owner.
9. Falsified Reservations: Any reservation obtained under false pretense will be subject to forfeiture of advance payment, deposit and/or rental money, and the party will not be permitted to check-in. If discovered later guest(s) will be asked to immediately vacate the property and there will be no refund of any kind.
10. Rental Rate and Fees:
a. Deposits: A Refundable Damage Deposit of $250 and 100% of the rental rate and the primary Guest’s Driver’s License number must be paid/received prior to occupancy.
Receipt of initial payment (deposit) constitutes approval of the Short Term Rental Agreement.
The Refundable Damage Deposit is not applied to rent. It is fully refundable within 7 days of the Check-out Date provided the following provisions are met:
- No damage is done to unit or its contents, beyond normal wear and tear.
- No charges are incurred due to contraband, disallowed pets, or collection of rents or services rendered during the stay.
- All debris, rubbish and discards are placed in appropriate receptacles, and dishes/utensils/pot/pans, etc. must be washed and placed in the cabinet
- All keys are left on the kitchen table and cottage is left locked
- All charges accrued during the stay are paid prior to departure
- No linens or towels are lost or damaged
- No early check-in or late checkout has occurred without permission
- No damage has occurred to the driveway or lawns
- Guest(s) not evicted by the owner (or representative of the owner) or local law enforcement
NOTE: There is a NO SMOKING policy in the buildings!
No pets, with the exception that some dogs may be permitted in some cottages on a case-by-case basis. Inquiries about bringing a dog should be made no later than 14 days before arrival, and it is recommended you inquire prior to booking if this is important to you. If approved, there will be an extra nightly fee and an additional damage deposit.
If you arrive or are found to have brought any type of animal that was not pre-approved, AND/OR someone smokes in the cottage(s) you will be asked to leave, immediately. No refund will be due you. Strictly enforced.
If the premises appear dirty or damaged upon Check-in, Guest shall inform Owner immediately.
c. Rental Rate.
Rates vary by season, and are determined at the time of booking.
11. Cancellation Policy: If Guest wishes to cancel his/her reservation, the deposits will be refunded as follows:
If booked with us directly, the cancellation policy is as follows:
- Cut-off date for refund:
- Rentals of 7 nights or shorter: 14 days before arrival date
- Rentals of 8 nights or longer: 30 days before arrival date
- 100% refund if cancelled on or before cut-off date, less credit card processing fees up to 3% of the original payment.
- No refund if cancelled after cut-off date.
- Please phone cancellation requests to (906) 208-7178; emails will NOT guarantee that your request was received.
If booked through an online travel agency (OTA), the cancellation policy will be that displayed on the channel at the time of booking. Please be aware that refunds of OTA service fees are dependent on the OTA’s own policies and are out of our control.
12. Travel Insurance: We encourage all renters to purchase traveler insurance. It is a very reasonable cost for peace of mind. Below are some companies you may wish to contact to purchase such insurance:
Allianz Global — 800-419-7642
Travel Guard — 800-826-1300
13. Parking: Parking is limited to vehicle(s)/trailers. Vehicles/trailers are to be parked in designated parking areas only. Parking that blocks the driveway or on the grass is NOT permitted; please ask if you need additional space to park a boat or ORV trailer. Any illegally parked cars/trailers are subject to towing; applicable fines/towing fees are the sole responsibility of the vehicle owner.
14. Water and Sewer: The cottage(s)/property is on a septic-drainfield system. The sewer system is very effective; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper. No feminine products or any type of baby wipe should be flushed at any time. If it is found that such items have been flushed and clog the sewer system, you could be charged damages/expenses of up to $200.00.
15. Written Exceptions: Any exceptions to the above-mentioned terms and conditions must be approved in writing by Owner in advance.
16. Liability / Hold harmless: Guest assumes sole responsibility for self and all others allowed on the Property by Guest. Guest agrees to hold Owner harmless and indemnify Owner from any and all claims of any kind by Guest or any person allowed on the Property by Guest, including but not limited to, accidents, injuries, or illnesses. The Owner is not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the Guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the Property or others whom they invite to visit the Property.
17. Appliances / Equipment / Recreational Vehicles / Supplies / Personal Property of Owner. There are various items included on the Property for your use. Guest is responsible to return all such items in the same condition as such items were in at the outset of occupancy. Guest is responsible for replacement cost of any damaged items, normal wear and tear excluded.
18. Legal clauses: This Agreement, the attachments hereto, are the entire understanding of the parties. This Agreement shall only be amended in a writing signed by all parties. Oral promises contrary to the terms and conditions of this Agreement are void ad initio. This Agreement shall be interpreted under the laws of the State of Michigan, with exclusive venue in Marquette County, Michigan. If there is litigation pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and Owner is successful, even de minimis, then Guest shall pay Owner’s litigation costs, including reasonable attorney fees. This Agreement can be executed in parts, on different dates and at different times, with the effective date being the date the last required signature is affixed hereto. The parties agree that typewritten or printed names will count as signatures, including if they are provided electronically via facsimile, email, or any other electronic device.
19. Payment: Acceptable payment methods are personal check or ACH, or credit/debit card. We cannot redeem any gift certificates except for those issued by U.P. Sunrise Cottages.
By my signature below, I agree that all rental monies are non-refundable per cancellation policy above. I have read my rights to purchase travel insurance.
Guest Full Name: _____________________________________________
Guest Signature: ________________________________________________
Name (print): _______________________________________
Cell # (during stay): ___________________________________
Receipt of initial payments (deposits) constitutes approval of this Short Term Rental Agreement
1. People other than those in the Guest party set forth above may not stay overnight on the Property but may visit Guest between 9:00am and 10:00pm. Any other person in/on the property is the sole responsibility of Guest. Total guests staying overnight on the grounds/property are not allowed to exceed the occupancy limit agreed to in the Rental Agreement.
2. Guests should not create excessive noise at a level that disturbs neighbors; Code-enforced neighborhood quiet hours are from 10:00p.m. – 7:00a.m.
3. Keep the property, recreational vehicles, equipment, and all furnishings in good order.
4. Only use appliances for their intended uses — if you are unfamiliar with using any appliance/grill please call Owner and ask for assistance.
5. Any garbage must be stowed in the proper garbage or recycling receptacle, located behind the garage opposite Cottage #6.
6. No fireworks of any kind are allowed on the property.
7. Speed limit on property 10 MPH.
8. The playground is for children ages 2-10 only.
Wear a life jacket when using a boat. Life jackets are available in the entry to the laundry building by the boat launch.
- All guests must wear a life jacket when using the aquapark.
- Do not swim underneath the aquapark.
- No boats may be parked on the aquapark.
- Please remove jewelry, and do now wear clothing with metal zippers, rivets, etc.
- Please read and abide by capacity limits printed on each piece of the aquapark (max 15 people dispersed across the elements)
11. When it’s time to check out:
✓ Please check out on or before 11 am
✓ Please clean and put away used dishes and cookware.
✓ Please leave used towels in the bathtub or shower.
✓ No need to remove sheets; please leave used beds unmade.
✓ Please remove all food from the fridge, freezer, and pantry and take it with you or put it in the trash.
✓ Please put all trash in the red dumpster behind the garage.
✓ Please close all windows.
✓ Please turn off all lights and fans.
✓ Please leave your key on the table and lock all doors.
✓ Be sure to drive safely and return often!
Thank you and we hope you have a wonderful stay!
WAIVER OF LIABILITY
This Waiver is made by and between Better Together Rentals, Inc., a Michigan corporation (“Owner”), doing business as U.P. Sunrise Cottages, and (“User”), for good and valuable consideration, the sufficiency of which is acknowledged, the parties hereby agree as follows:
1. Recreational Vehicles and/or Equipment. Owner may provide User the use of recreational vehicles or equipment, at no additional charge, to include but not limited to, boats, kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, aquapark, playground, docks, rafts, sun chairs, grill, fire pit and related items (ie. firewood, food sticks, marshmallows, etc).
2. Inherent Dangers. User understands that use of recreational items are inherently dangerous and User accepts sole-responsibility for use of recreational items.
3. As Is Condition. User accepts all recreational items in their as-is condition.
4. User Accepts Risk of Use and Releases Owner from any Negligence. By using the recreational items provided by Owner, User agrees to release Owner of any claims, by User or otherwise, that Owner was negligent in any way related to the recreational items.
5. Hold harmless and Indemnification. User agrees to hold Owner harmless from any claims related to the use of recreational items by User or anyone associated in any way with User. User agrees to indemnify Owner from all such claims.
6. Adults and Minors. User must be at least 18 years of age. For any member of User’s party that is not 18 years of age, the parent or legal guardian of such minor also needs to sign this Waiver.
7. Legal clauses: This Waiver and any attachments hereto are the entire understanding of the parties. This Waiver shall only be amended in a writing signed by all parties. Oral promises contrary to the terms and conditions of this Waiver are void ad initio. This Waiver shall be interpreted under the laws of the State of Michigan, with exclusive venue in Marquette County, Michigan. If there is litigation pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Waiver and Owner is successful, even de minimis, then User shall pay Owner’s litigation costs, including reasonable attorney fees. This Waiver can be executed in parts, on different dates and at different times, with the effective date being the date the last required signature is affixed hereto. The parties agree that typewritten or printed names will count as signatures, including if they are provided electronically via facsimile, email, or any other electronic device.
Printed Name: ____________________________________________
I, ___________________________________ , am the parent or legal guardian of _____________________________________(Minor). I agree that Minor is to be bound by the terms of this Waiver.
Printed Name: _____________________________________ Date _______________
Parent or Legal Guardian of Minor
Printed Name: _____________________________________ Date _______________
We have updated our cleaning and disinfection routines to provide you with a safe environment during these times. We recognize that people have very different views related to COVID-19 prevention, so we ask all of our guests to show respect for each other by:
- Maintaining a distance of 10 feet from other parties in common spaces like the playground, the firepits, and the waterfront.
- Live and let live. If everyone can respect rule #1, then you should be able to enjoy your own space without worrying about whether other guests see things quite the same as you do.
If a government body with authority over our rental cottages requires us to cease operations due to COVID-19 restrictions, and this prevents you from using our cottages on your reserved dates, we will refund your reservation in full.